Top Ten Old Golf Club Names
As a time-honored Island Hopping tradition, nothing quite beats the maddening game of golf. It's a great way to get outdoors and unwind...until you bang that first slice into the rough. Then it's crazy-making time. Whether you partake in the ancient game or not, here's a fun rundown of the arcane names they used to use for the irons which, like TV's The Prisoner, have all been reduced to numbers these days.
#1 - Cleek
#2 - Midiron
#3 - Mid-Mashie
#4 - Mashie Iron
#5 - Mashie
#6 - Spade Mashie
#7 - Mashie-Niblick
#8 - Pitching Mashie
#9 - Baffing Spoon
#10 - Jigger
Top Ten Weird English Words
You don't want to come off as the office Know-It-None, yet sometimes having a strange new word to roll off your tongue and across the conference table, along with its definition, can be just the thing to remind people just how dangerous the English language can be in the hands (or mouth) of a master. Here are ten words guaranteed to stupefy:
1. Floccinaucinihilipilification - "the act or habit of estimating or describing something as worthless, or making something to be worthless by deprecation". Er...not unlike this list.
2. Mesonoxian - of or related to midnight.
3. Tyrotoxism - poisoning by cheese or any milk product.
4. Zabernism – an obsolete word meaning 'the abuse of military power or authority; unjustified aggression'. From the name Zabern, the German name for Saverne in Alsace, where in 1912 an overeager German subaltern killed a cobbler who smiled at him.
5. Rastaquouere - a social climber.
6. Finnimbrun - obs. rare a trifle, a gimcrack.
7. Lamprophony – loudness and clarity of voice.
8. Mungo - a Dumpster diver, one who extracts valuable things from trash.
9. Erinaceous - of the Hedgehog family; like, or characteristic of, a hedgehog.
10. Selcouth - unfamiliar, rare, strange, marvelous, wonderful.
Ten Quick Sensible Snacks
It's hard to eat healthy in the office, especially when the pressure's on. But it's not impossible. Keep one or more of these in your desk or the snack room fridge. Aside from a brief zap in the microwave or a dash of hot water, these are ready to toss in your pie hole so you can move on.
1. 2 Quaker rice cakes
2. 3 cups low-fat microwave or air-popped popcorn
3. 1 cup high-fiber dry cereal (Kashi, Shredded Wheat, Cheerios)
4. 6-10 almonds, walnuts, cashews, peanuts
5. 1 packet instant or ½ cup oatmeal
6. 2 Wasa crackers (whole grain)
7. 1 slice 100% whole grain toast, ½ whole grain bagel, or ½ English muffin
8. 1 cup sugar-free Jell-O
9. 1 baked Z Bar from Clif Bar
10. 1 medium apple or orange
Ten Ways To Make Office Coffee Taste Better
Office coffee can be bad. Really bad. But the price is usually right (free) or at least nothing compared with Starbucks or other gourmet joe chain. Here are some tips to tweak the brew a bit:
1. Use twice as much coffee (either two bags or two pods) and click "espresso" mode for every serving (prepare for major jolt)
2. Mix instant hot chocolate into the cup with the coffee (pour into cup after brewing and add milk)
3. Opt for creamier dairy: heavy cream, half & half, or whole milk, for example (you're not going to lose weight by skimping on flavor in your coffee)
4. Try sprinkling a pinch of salt into the grounds before brewing (not into cup, please)
5. Brew with filtered water only
6. Cleanse the palate before consuming (coffee may seem bitter after especially sweet foods)
7. Make a fresh pot (who knows how long that liquid has been sitting there?)
8. Clean the pot (who knows the last time that thing was cleaned?)
9. Drink as soon as possible; the coffee changes flavor over time
10. Ask your company to experiment with new vendors (preferably fair-trade, organic, and shade grown)
Best Five AND Worst Five Songs Used In Ads A six-member Ensemble at Billboard Magazine took the time to rank the five all-time best and five all-time worst songs used in TV commercials.
The Five Worst Songs in Commercials:
5. AARP: “Everybody’s Happy Nowadays” - Buzzcocks
4. Swiffer: “Whip It” - Devo
3. Wendy’s: “Blister in the Sun” - Violent Femmes
2. Royal Caribbean Cruise Line: “Lust for Life” - Iggy Pop
1. Victoria’s Secret: “Love Sick” - Bob Dylan
The Five Best Songs in Commercials:
5. McDonald’s: “A Minha Menina”- Os Mutantes
4. Apple: “Jerk It Out” - Caesers
3. Nike: “Revolution”- The Beatles
2. Coca Cola: “I’d Like to Teach the World to Sing” - The Seekers
1. Volkswagen: “Pink Moon” - Nick Drake
Top Ten Reasons Why I Hate My Job
10. The coffee here SUCKS.
9. I like 3 people in the company...TOTAL
8. It's located in Syracuse, NY.
7. None of the higher ups ever follow the chain of command which makes communication about scope and approvals on projects almost impossible.
6. I feel more fufilled blogging than doing my daily "chores"
5. T.A.P. (The Texas Asshole, Blowhard, Bullshitting, Lazy-assed, butt-kissing, flip-flopping, Herman Munster look alike piece of SHIT...)
4. Nepotism prevails even in a time of layoffs. Playing office to add to the money you already have while people who gave 18+ years to the company to fill your pockets and still have nothing are laid off is just wrong.
3. Poor management styles that go unchecked.
2. Being stuck in the middle of poor communication and management skills between the higher ups, and designers who need to be spoon fed.
1. Bored Now. (I am bored with the products I am marketing, bored with the people and bored with the industry.)
<h5>Source: Life Or Something Like It, Blog, contributor: C.C.</h5>
The 10 Worst Work Habits
2. Being a sloppy e-mailer<br>
3. Confusing informal with disrespectful<br>
4. Taking advantage of leeway<br>
5. Refusing to mingle<br>
6. Always running late<br>
7. Being rigid<br>
8. Acting as the resident contrarian<br>
9. Badmouthing the company<br>
10. Office Politicking<br>
<h5>Source: <a href="http://www.careerbuilder.com">CareerBuilder.com</a></h5>
10 Great Questions To Ask In A Job Interview
1. What’s the makeup of the team as far as experience? Am I going to be a mentor or will I be mentored?
2. What does this company value the most and how do you think my work for you will further these values?
3. What kinds of processes are in place to help me work collaboratively?
4. What can I bring Company XYZ to round out the team?
5. Do team members typically eat lunch together or do they typically eat at their desk?
6. What’s the most important thing I can do to help within the first 90 days of my employment?
7. Do you have any questions or concerns about my ability to perform this job?
8. When top performers leave the company why do they leave and where do they usually go?
9. Do you have any concerns that I need to clear up in order to be the top candidate?
10. Who are the “coolest” people on my team?
Source: 201 Best Questions To Ask ON Your Interview by John Kador
Top 10 Office Pranks
1. Change the caller ID on a co-worker's phone to read Mr. Kitten every time he calls someone.
2. Place random objects from people's desks in the vending machine.
3. Place a live goldfish in an IV bag in a clinic.
4. Sneak onto someone else's computer and send out an "I love you" email to the entire office.
5. Wallpaper someone's entire cube with headshots of his co-workers.
6. Pull the shelves out of the break room refrigerator, hide inside and jump out at co-workers as they open the door.
7. Sit on the copier and place the copies back in the paper bin. Anytime co-workers make copies, they have the image of the prankster's backside in the background.
8. Turn all the clocks in the office one hour back to make the work day seem longer.
9. Lock all the doors, shut off the lights and put a "Closed" sign in the window when the boss went out for lunch.
10. Place fake rubber chocolates in the break room and watch as co-workers try to chew them.
Top 11 Office Peeves
1. Loud Talking
2. Annoying Cell Phone Ring
3. Talking On Speaker Phone
4. Lousy Manners
5. Foul Personal Hygiene
6. Constant Moaning
7. Not Doing Office Dishes
8. Blowing Off A Task
9. Singing Along To The Radio
10. Walking Too Heavily
11. Shaking Hands Like A Fish
Source: Ceridian Lifeworks.com
Top 10 Causes of Anger at Work
1. Bad Management
2. Unjust Treatment
3. Lack of Career Opportunity
4. Not Being Appreciated
5. Excess Workload
6. Computer Irritations
7. Dishonest Colleagues
8. Incompetence of Subordinates
9. Interpersonal Incivility
10. Asserting Power
Sometimes the best way to be In The Office is to be OUT of the office!
Top 10 Reason To Work From Home 1. Work anywhere
2. Complete control of your workspace
3. Fewer distractions
4. Flexible time
5. More focus on results, not presence
6. More time with family
7. No dress code
8. Yoga at your desk
9. Less commute, less pollution
10. Work fewer hours
Source: Johnathan Mead at ZenHabits.net
Top 10 Most Irritating Expressions in the English Language
1. At the end of the day
2. Fairly unique
3. I personally
4. At this moment in time
5. With all due respect
7. It's a nightmare
8. Shouldn't of
10. It's not rocket science
Source: Damp Squid: The English Language Laid Bare by Jeremy Butterfield
Top 10 Reasons Why Working in IT Sucks
1. You are everyone’s personal Google-er.
2. "Do you think you can _____ ?"
3. Updates from outer space!
4. For every hour you spend trying to make things easier, you’ll create 10 more hours of explanation
5. The dreaded “What are you working on?”
6. Nobody ever saves you any coffee.
7. You’re the first to show up, and the last to leave
8. You get the same emails, 500 times.
9. At least 3 times a week, someone will say “I can’t print”.
10. You must explain everything, regardless of simplicity, at least 10,000 times